Consulting, Project Management, Vulnerability Remediation, Network Firewall Design and Implementation, CyberSecurity Risk Management. Network Routing/Switching Design, Implementation, Creating and Implementing CyberSecurity Policies. Management. Vendor and Budget management. Over 10 years of management experience.
Microsoft Exchange Expert, Microsoft Teams Expert, Palo Alto Firewalls, Fortinet Firewalls, Cisco Routing/Switching, Juniper Routing/Switching, Securing Windows Servers and Workstations. Windows Active Directory and Azure Active Directory, Windows Defender ATP, Microsoft Conditional Access, Microsoft MFA, Microsoft Azure Sentinel SIEM, VMWARE ESX 6.x - 7.x. Storage Area Networks, Backup and Disaster Recovery. Cisco Communication Manager, Citrix Netscalers.
Implementing technology to make the business more efficient and secure. Assisting others with learning and administrating technology and processes. Make a positive impact on my coworkers and the business I work for.
What I look for in my job/career
I enjoy implementing complex technologies, making it easy to maintain and mentoring and teaching others how to administer those complex technologies. I like to be challenged and enjoy working on many projects that are running at the same time.
Started Two Successful IT Consulting Businesses
The first business was called JSO Technology LLC and was incorporated in 2002, sold the business in 2011 to my business partner. Build the business to over 11 employee's and revenue was over 3 million dollars. JSO Technology won the MMAC Future 50 in 2011. The business is still in operation today and is called Core Vision IT Solutions.
The second business is called TBJ Consulting LLC. As the sole entrepreneur I grew the business to over 1.2 million dollars. I desired a lifestyle change so I decided work full time for a long term client. The position is the Director of Security & Network Services for Quarles & Brady LLP
Built the CyberSecurity Program at Quarles & Brady
When I started at Quarles & Brady, they were starting the journey to take CyberSecurity to the next level. Implemented security controls, policies, processes and procedures. Automated many of the security tasks, making it easier to respond and react to threats.
Quarles & Brady LLP, Milwaukee WI - Director of Security & Network Services - 8/2015 to Present
Quarles & Brady LLP is a national Law Firm with 10 offices that is listed in the Am Law 200.
I am responsible for Cyber-security, network infrastructure and the entire application stack, including helping with the transition to cloud services. I have management responsibility for two managers, five direct reports and 21 indirect reports.
Listed below are the import projects and accomplished I have completed while working for Quarles & Brady LLP.
• Replaced the Primary MPLS network increasing speed in some locations by 10X, will reducing the cost of the connection by $10,000 a month.
• Replaced an aging backup system that was only backing up 10% of all systems with a Hyper-Coverage backup system. This system was capable of backing up all systems and replicating them offsite.
• Implemented a vulnerability management program to detect missing security patches and to discover security vulnerabilities. Also implemented an automated patch management system and process for the Firm's server and end users computing assets. Patches are now installed on servers monthly with over 90% of servers receiving patches automatically.
• Lead the project to install a Managed SEIM. Worked with the MSSP to tune to the SEIM to only send relevant alerts.
• Lead the project to evaluated and replace the Firms managed Security Operations Center (SOC), with a solution that includes MDR detection reduced costs and increased functionality.
• Worked with a consultant to create a DR Plan with RTO and RPO's that identified tier 0 to tier 2 systems and a plan for how those systems will be recovered. Implemented biannual testing of the DR Plan on the Firms Tier 1 and Tier 2 systems to ensure they can be recovered according to the DR Plan. Mitigate any gaps that were discovered during the DR test.
• Evaluated and Implemented Microsoft’s Windows Defender ATP on all Servers and workstations, providing advance threat insight and automated remediation to all computing resources
• Optimize policies on the Firms Firewall’s to reduce threats to the Firm. This includes, blocking dangerous file extensions from being downloaded, preventing access to unknown and advertising websites, SSL inspection, and important real time black lists to block known bad actors.
• Architected the Microsoft MFA implementation, replacing an aging two-factor solution. Also enable MFA on Firewall, Load Balancers, back-up appliances and Cloud Administrative consoles.
• Redesigned the Core network at the Datacenter to eliminate errors and speed issues. Implement Nessus 9K switches with 100 GB connectivity to top of rack switches which connect to servers at 25GB
• Architected and Lead the Microsoft Teams implementation, this includes integration with the Firms existing video conferencing system, securing Microsoft Teams, implementing Microsoft Information protection to enable retention polices and DLP detection.
• Lead the project to enable voice routing between Microsoft Teams and the Firms onsite Cisco Communication Manager.
• With the assistance of a consultant, rewrote the Firms IT Security Polices and worked with the web development team to publish those polices online. It streamlined audit responses and also made it very easy to share with the Firm's users
• Responded to numerous client cybersecurity audits. Assisted with the audit response and remediation
Consulting Engineer /President 7/2011-8/2015
TBJ Consulting LLC, Eagle, Wisconsin
TBJ Consulting LLC is the second consulting company that I started in July 2011. My focus was on network security, infrastructure and Microsoft technologies. I also provided project management services to clients. As the business owner, I was responsible for sales, marketing, vendor management and working with my clients.
While running TBJ Consulting, I resold products for following vendors, Juniper Networks, Ruckus Wireless, Nimble Storage, Fortinet, Unitrends and Palo Alto Networks. These are the vendors that I believe have the best in class products and solutions at the time.
I started TBJ Consulting LLC in July of 2011 with three clients and I grew the client base to about thirty clients. Vendors such as Juniper and Fortinet referred business to me. The reason they did this is because of my high skill set and my passion to take care of my clients. For example, Juniper referred me to an NFL Team to assist with their Juniper switching environment.
A sample of the projects I completed for TBJ clients.
A consulting engagement for a law firm to migrate from 10 aging Cisco ASA firewall’s to Palo Alto Firewall’s. This migration had to be completed with minimal downtime and end-user impact. The firewalls were neglected and the previous administrator had left, so there was the additional challenge of cleaning up the firewalls along with migrating to a new firewall platform. I provided training and knowledge transfer to the three-person team I was working with. The project was completed successfully with minimal down time.
I provided network audit and penetration testing services to numerous clients. I had a recurring engagement with at least three clients to provide a yearly audit and penetration test. Once the penetration test is complete, a report was provided with a list of findings from the penetration test.
I worked on numerous client engagements to design redundant networks and systems. I have helped design and implement solutions to provide automatic failover if an Internet connection or MPLS line goes down or fails.
Provided a managed firewall service for a brokerage company. Managed eight firewalls for them. I was also responsible for monitoring, upgrading, maintaining and helping support these firewalls. I also provided a yearly vulnerability assessment for them.
Consulting Engineer /President 1/2002-6/2011
JSO Technology LLC, Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
JSO Technology LLC is the first consulting company that I started in January 2002. JSO Technology specialized in security, infrastructure and Microsoft operating systems. I sold JSO Technology to my business partner in 2011.
I started JSO Technology with $200 dollars with no employee’s. It grew to $3.2 million dollars in revenue and about 10 people before it was sold. The three years prior to the sale I had revenue growth of 30% year over year. In fact, JSO Technogy was awarded the MMAC Future 50 Business Award in 2011.
I was responsible for both the sales and technical team, which was a total team of 10 people.
My business partner and I also started a managed services business. Managed services is monitoring and maintaining a network for a flat monthly fee. We grew that business to about $50,000 of recurring revenue per month.
I was also the lead security engineer. I helped install, maintain and monitor firewall’s and security solutions. Audited networks to make sure that they followed best practice design. Helped clients develop processes to harden systems that faced the Internet. The architect of the managed firewall service that we started at JSO. We had about 15 clients that under that managed firewall service. Responsible for the designing and implementing network security design at numerous clients.
Certifications and Awards
• Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer + Internet
• SANS GCNT Number 83 http://www.giac.org/certified-professional/james-oryszczyn/101276
“I had to write a practical to achieve this certification” (Expired)
• SANS GSNA Number 1531 http://www.giac.org/certified-professional/james-oryszczyn/114736 (Expired)
• CISM - Certification Number 1737381
• CDPSE - Certification Number 2111536
• Entre Team Player of the Year in 1997
• IKON President Club award winner 2001