Users In Teams Console Showing As Unknown

In July, the business I work for retired Skype. We followed Microsoft's steps to retire Skype which can be found here. Everything was working fine, but I wanted to discuss a recent issue and provide a fix for said issue.

Part of my company's decommission process is to keep user accounts for three years in a disabled state. The decommission process involves removing groups and Skype for Business before it was retired.

Recently, a handful of users that left came back and when we enabled them for teams enterprise voice,  and we received the error, (Teams Enterprise Voice Fails with:"Management object not found for identity)". The other noticeable item was the users status in the Teams Admin Console showed as unknown.

At first I thought it had to do with the fact that we were still in islands mode instead of Teams only. I made that modification and that did not address the issue.

After much googling and suspecting that is was an active directory attribute, I discovered an attribute was  incorrect. The msRTCSIP-DeploymentLocator attribute populated with the value SRV, it should have been blank or null. This will prevent enterprise voice from being enabled and from the users appearing correctly in teams.

I cleared the value and forced a sync in AD Connect and we could then enable the user for Enterprise Voice and the users status was set to online in the Teams Admin Console

Since we had more than one user in this state, the following script will identify which users have SRV: configured as an attribute.

Get-ADuser -Properties msRTCSIP-DeploymentLocator,msRTCSIP-PrimaryHomeServer,msRTCSIP-UserEnabled -Filter {msRTCSIP-DeploymentLocator -eq "SRV:" } | Select UserPrincipalName,msRTCSIP-DeploymentLocator,msRTCSIP-PrimaryHomeServer,msRTCSIP-UserEnabled

Once you have verified that the users should have the attribute cleared, the following script will set the value to null.

Get-ADuser -Properties msRTCSIP-DeploymentLocator,msRTCSIP-PrimaryHomeServer,msRTCSIP-UserEnabled -Filter {msRTCSIP-DeploymentLocator -eq "SRV:" } | Set-ADUser -Clear msRTCSIP-DeploymentLocator

I hope this helps if you experience this issue and saves you from having to translate a webpage from German and then having to find a script to fix the glitch.

I wish Microsoft would do a better job of clean up, but as the Grandpa in grumpy old man stated, I can wish in one hand and crap in another and see which one gets filled first.

TBJ Consulting

TBJ Consulting